A How-To for a Paleo Celebration
It was my best girlfriend’s birthday recently and she feels best when she sticks to a strict paleo diet. So of course I hosted a paleo-themed birthday party for her! Wonder what a paleo diet consists of? Read on …
- Guacamole and homemade salsa with sliced cucumber and rainbow carrots
- Shredded kale salad with red onion, cucumber, sundried tomatoes and sunflower seeds
- Marinated chicken and mahi mahi cooked on the grill with corn tortillas on the side for those who aren’t as strict.
- Chocolate chunk peanut butter cookies (peanuts are a legume and are actually not paleo but my fiance has an awful nut allergy so I cheated here); and
- Amazing vanilla paleo birthday cupcakes which I adapted from this recipe (thank you, Elana!):
Paleo Vanilla Birthday Cupcakes
- 6 Tablespoons coconut flour
- 2 Tablespoons tapioca flour
- 1 Tablespoon coconut sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon gluten free baking soda
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup honey or maple syrup
- 1 drosser liquid stevia
- 2 Tablespoons vanilla extract
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large mixing bowl mix the coconut flour, tapioca flour, coconut sugar, sea salt and baking soda with a whisk to remove any lumps.
In a separate mixing bowl or large liquid measuring cup mix the eggs, oil, honey, stevia and vanilla.
Combine the wet with the dry and pour into muffin cups. Bake for about 20 – 25 minutes on the middle rack until a toothpick comes out of the center of a cupcake clean. cool for 5 minutes in the muffin tin, and then remove and finish cooling on a cooling rack.
Once cooled completely frost with chocolate frosting.
I managed to whip up a coconut based chocolate frosting with good quality ingredients, but did not write down exactly what i did. I will have to experiment a little bit more before i post it. In the meantime Elana’s chocolate frosting recipe looks pretty darn good.
Enjoy Life makes a great dark chocolate chip that is soy free, nut free and dairy free and would probably work great in this her recipe.
My girlfriend called me the next morning saying how she felt like she lost a couple pounds which she couldn’t believe considering how much she ate. And the two – yes, two, birthday cupcakes! Thanks Elana for my new go-to birthday cupcake recipe 🙂