Being pregnant is such a magical time. It’s filled with feelings of excitement, anticipation and utter fear all at once. You are literally creating a little human in your belly. It’s a time to honor how you feel, relax, de-stress and nourish yourself with the Perfect Pregnancy Protein Smoothie!
Unfortunately, it can be tough to follow specific dietary plans or to stick to what you know you “should” eat because of nausea and morning sickness. Sometimes you just gotta eat whatever you can get down.
Because of this, I have created what I believe to be the Perfect Pregnancy Protein Smoothie recipe in which you will get a great does of Vitamin A, B6, C & K, Potassium, Magnesium, Folate, Omega Fatty Acids, Protein and electrolytes. I love this first thing in the morning, but this tasty treat can be enjoyed anytime of day, or throughout!
- BANANAS are actually thought to help with morning sickness in the first trimester because they are high in vitamin B6. They are also a great source of fibre, vitamin C and potassium. Potassium is critical for maintaining the fluid and electrolyte balance in your body’s cells
- MANGOES are rich in iron, vitamin C, vitamin A, Vitamin B6, potassium and folic acid. They are also rich in fibre, which can help prevent constipation and are a good source of antioxidants.
- AVOCADOS are a great source of fibre, vitamins C, K & B6, potassium and folate. The are also a great source of healthy fats and are thought to help with morning sickness and great for your baby’s Brian and tissue growth! In smoothies I find that they lend a smooth, velvety texture and richness that is absolutely delicious.
- COCONUT WATER is filled with natural electrolytes helping to prevent dehydration which is extremely important to avoid while pregnant. Some woman find that drinking coconut water helps relieve morning sickness, constipation and acid reflux, which are all common problems during pregnancy. It is also a good source of potassium, magnesium, dietary fibre, calcium, riboflavin and vitamin C.
- OMEGA-3 fatty acids are critical during pregnancy and after. They help with cognition, heart heath and immune system support. Two of the most important Omega-3s are EPA (Eicosapentaenoic Acid) and DHA (Docosahexaenoic acid). EPA supports the heart, immune system, and inflammatory response and DHA supports the brain, eyes, and central nervous system. Omega-3 oil and can be found in most health food stores such as Sprouts and Whole Foods. The brand I like is Nordic Naturals found on Amazon. For more information on Omega-3 Fatty acids and pregnancy, this is a helpful article to read: American Pregnancy Association
- PROTEINS are literally the building blocks of the human body, which is why it even more important to make sure you are getting enough while pregnant. Consuming protein helps stabilize blood sugar levels (which can help to prevent gestational diabetes), repairs muscle tissue and red blood cells, plays a role in hair and fingernail growth as well as hormone regulation and digestion. And during pregnancy, protein is doing all of this for your baby too!
So now that we’ve covered all of that, here’s the smoothie recipe I’ve been raving about…
The Perfect Pregnancy Protein Smoothie Recipe
1 medium sized ripe banana
1 cup fresh or frozen mango (sub strawberries or blueberries if Gestational Diabetes is a concern)
¼ avocado, optional
1 ½ cups coconut water or coconut milk
1 teaspoon Omega-3 oil OR Fish oil
1 scoop vegan vanilla protein powder (or your favorite protein based protein powder)
Place everything into a blender and starting on low speed start to blend, slowly turning up to high. Blend until smooth and creamy.
Enjoy immediately or store in a sealed glass jar in the fridge.